Sunday, July 7, 2013

CB Antenna

Today I ran my coax and installed my 102" whip antenna for my CB.

The mount. I need to go buy an angled stud mount so I can have the coax come straight out from under the bus instead of how it is in this pic. The way it is now it will easily snag on something. With the angled mount I can actually wire tie the coax to the bracket.

It hits the carport and you can see (looking at the rain gutter on the bus) the bungie cord gets stretched out pretty far. The bungie cord is there to keep the antenna from going back to far when I am driving down the road.

Here is a good shot of how tall the antenna is. See the orange ball in the trees? I think it sticks up above the bus about 3 feet.


I'm having a hard time getting the SWR to calibrate though. I'm beginning to wonder if the end on the coax I bought are any good? They look like they don't go into the female stud mount very well. I wanted to have a cable pre made so I didn't have to worry about bad connections but now I don't want to have to pull all the coax back out to send it back. I may end up cutting the ends off and getting better one's and put them on ourselves. Still trying to trouble shoot it before I go that route. It may be how I have the extra cable coiled up under the bus. I was told that I should figure 8 or zig zag the extra cable. I will fix that and install the angled stud tomorrow and see how things go. 

No comments:

Post a Comment